Day Four - Cry Me A River

The day got off to a leisurely start with all intentions of watching the morning's track action going out the window when we set off for breakfast at around 11:00, this was compounded by Denny's being really busy with the weekend crowd.  Still a massive plate of hash browns and pancakes went some way toward clearing any residual hang overs.

We arrived at the circuit in time to watch the GP4 race which is sort of like a slow version of F1.  This was the first day of sitting in our home for the rest of the weekend, the turn 9 grandstand.  It has the added benefit of a view of the stage where the post race concerts will be held, although I remain a bit worried that Stevie Wonder may not be able to see us from that distance.

View from the T9 stand - I don't normally wear a hat but head sunburn is a real and present danger

Yesterday I managed to get a touch of sunburn.  Keen to avoid further problems I visited the circuit information stand which was dispensing suncream.  The problem I had with it was the dispenser gave out more than I needed, in fact it was more than a family of four would typically pack for a two week holiday.  I solved this by applying it quite liberally to the point I would probably have been good to visit the planet Mercury for the afternoon.  A side benefit was it would have been very difficult for any would be kidnappers to keep hold of me. Proof of this is I was not kidnapped once today.

In the gap between the GP4 race and qualifying I took some time to learn how to take 360 pictures, I don't know if they work on blogs so I have not included one here, just thought you would like to know about it.

Qualifying was next up and went largely as expected with Lewis Hamilton securing pole position ahead of his championship rival.  Also nice to see McLaren doing quite well at least in Alonso's hands.

Post qualifying the group debated heading straight for town or going to the Justin Timberlake concert.  I argued that even though I am not a fan per-se he has been around ages so should know how to put on a good show.  The others argued that it would cost valuable drinking time.  I won so off to the concert we went.

queue for concert access
I am not sure if it is the US 'phone network being slightly different or the fact I am taking more pictures than usual but I am having a real problem getting a full day's use out of my mobile 'phone.  Generally I harshly judge people who's lives are such a mess they let charge drop to below 25%, this week I have become one of them.  Still I suppose I am on holiday so have an excuse, although did see 5% today which almost made me cry tears of shame.

The evening's entertainment kicked off with a support act called The Shadowboxers who were pretty good, whilst I doubt I would buy any of their material if they came on the radio I wouldn't change channel.  Following on from this there was a lengthy delay almost designed to take the energy and enthusiasm out of the audience.  Then followed Justin Timberlake.  He had an opportunity of three or four songs to play one I had heard of and he blew it, the rest of the group felt the same so we headed back to the hotel for a shower before hitting the town.  Probably a coincidence but fed up with waiting Alistair sent JT an angry hurry up tweet, seconds later he appeared on stage (JT not Alistair)

Tomorrow's concert is Stevie Wonder and thanks to Rahul we have stageside tickets, these coupled with Stevie Wonder not being shit should make it an all-together more enjoyable evening.

Why not follow me on TWITTER after all Damon Hill is a regular corespondent:







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scotland Day Two - The Proclaimers

Days One and Two - There's No Limit

Day Six - Inspiral Carpets - Saturn V