Wales - Day Tri

The third day of the weekend away is a difficult blog to write as it mainly involved driving from Wales to Cambourne, which is not necessarily the most interesting way to spend a day.  Therefore I am going to use to today's post as a way of reflecting on the things I have learned over the weekend as well as describing the journey in excessive and excruciating detail.

The group managed to meet for breakfast at more or less the target time of 09:15 which was quite a surprise given the previous evening's goings on.  The hotel breakfast was really rather good, in particular the cooked offering was well above average and crucially included black pudding.  The only thing that really let the restaurant down was a laissez faire attitude to jam delivery which was insulting to both its jam suppliers and customers.

"jam hot"

More observant readers will already be fuming as a result of the above image, but for those of you who are not so keen eyed what the picture shows is a classic Frank Cooper three receptacle jam carrier being used to delivery Wilkin & Sons jam.  The hotel persisted with this throughout our stay all the while smugly grinning at having 'got one over' the Frank Cooper jam rep who supplied them the with the carriers with the hope of gaining some loyalty which the hotel simply did not repay.  I have subsequently rinsed them on TripAdvisor.

Once I had calmed down about the jam we re-boarded the bus.  Instead of smelling of builders it now smelled of a heady mix of Haribo and booze.  I expected a quiet-ish journey home, which compared to the outbound trip it was.  However we had not been on the road long when I heard the first champagne cork pop behind me and stalwarts that they are my passengers got on with the remaining boozed.

Traffic was quiet most of the way home and we were at Craig and Jodie's house within about an hour and a half of leaving Wales, who knew they practically lived abroad?  Post drop off we went for a spot of lunch at a conveniently located pub which was notable for taking ages to confirm we could have a table despite the pub's main feature being a complete absence of customers......

The balance of the journey was fairly quiet with most of the group adopting this pose:

"sleeping beauty"

On return to Cambourne we cleared the bus, amazingly there was still a lot of beer left.  Keith and Chris were kind enough to help me move some new furniture into my flat before going home.  

Overall it has been a great weekend and I have learned a lot of useful things:

i)    Don't go and watch England away anywhere but Italy
ii)   Wales really is a nation of innovators / cheap curry
iii)  My friends really like a drink

With those wise words I will sign off this episode of the Travelogue Blog until my next adventure.

"I was holding it for a friend officer"






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days One and Two - There's No Limit

Scotland Day Two - The Proclaimers

Day Six - Inspiral Carpets - Saturn V