Scotland Day One - The View

"I've had the same jeans on for four days now" - so sang Scottish Indy group the view in their 20XX hit (guess the year.)  Not true in my case, I had put a clean pair of strides on as part of preparation for my trip to Edinburgh.  The trip to Scotland marks the final visit in an arduous series of tours to watch England play Rugby at every away Six Nation venue.  The arduous bit is because every time we make the trip England seem to lose (except against Italy, obvs.)

The day got off to a splendid start at Cambourne's premiere drinking establishment, the Monkey.  Luckily our taxi was running late so there was time to relax and enjoy the finest drinks in all Cambridgeshire. 

A short ride to St Neots saw us arrive in time for an earlier train to Peterborough where we would make our connection to Edinburgh.  However due to some fannying about we missed that one so enjoyed half an hour in the unseasonable sunshine.  The ladies choosing this point to crack open the first bottle of champagne.


At Peterborough I was surprised to notice a branch of Waitrose next to the station, although on reflection my surprise was misplaced, even their football team is posh. 

When the train arrived I was a bit worried to see our allocated carriage (coach K train fact fans.) was a designated 'quiet carriage,' but supposed it was OK as we would not be using our mobile 'phones during the journey.  Due to a technical hitch we were being transported in the spare train, the original one having broken down.  As a result of this all seating reservations were cancelled so our planned table for 8 did not materialise.  Luckily a nice gentleman took one look at us and moved as quickly as he could making space for our group.

Thanks to some canny shopping by Brenda we had first class tickets so were served some really stringy beef curry and quite a few Gins and tonic.  This was the ideal accompaniment to the supplementary booze we had with us.  A highlight of the journey was this lovely view of Durham cathedral.


I have been to Durham once when visiting my now brother in law, in the days before he hoodwinked my sister into marriage.  That visit was notable for i) how cold his house was, ii) a car fire on the way home, iii) being charged money for food during the visit.  Those who have visited my house will realise just how cold it must have been for point i) to even occur to me.

On arrival in Edinburgh we walked to our hotel then headed for dinner.  Lots of interesting and amusing stuff happened but I am now being pressured to go and look at a castle so insert your own amusing hi-jinx here.  We did find some wine named for Patricia......


I will conclude this post with an observation that I have now been in Scotland for over 15 hours and have not had any haggis.  Off out to fix that now.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scotland Day Two - The Proclaimers

Days One and Two - There's No Limit

Day Six - Inspiral Carpets - Saturn V