Jour Deux - Le Grand Jeu

Today was the day of the big game which we had travelled all this way to watch.  I realise that some of my readers may not be Rugby fans, therefore that is all I will say about that.

The group met for an early-ish hotel breakfast which included some mini donuts so was not a terrible way to start the day, the coffee on the other hand was rather weaker than I would have preferred.  Post breakfast there was nothing planned so I retired to my room to await Alistair's arrival.....

.....I then waited some more.  It turns out that letting the train take the strain really is the best choice.  A combination of a one hour flight delay and the pissburnt RER meant he did not arrive until it was almost time to meet for lunch.  Despite grand plans to go and eat somewhere 'really good' it was decided that in fact the best restaurant in Paris was the one immediately adjacent to our hotel, seems unlikely but true.  Being a creature of habit I had raw steak the same as I did yesterday, it was again delicious.

A lack of imagination meant we stayed in the restaurant for most of the afternoon including stints at three different tables, even sitting outside for a while.  I foolishly broke a golden rule of Rugby trips, specifically the one relating to not leaving your drink unattended:

the picture does not show the added white wine
As you can see whilst my back was turned almost two thirds of the fruit was stolen from the glass.  And two of the umbrellas.

After an enjoyable afternoon it was time to head for the stadium.  As we left the restaurant I overheard the owner on the phone to what appeared to be a yacht broker, almost as if he had just come into a massive amount of money from a bunch of drunk Englishmen.  The exchange rate is still 2 Euros to the Pound isn't it?  

Paris has an excellent metro system where you can purchase a ticket for just 2 Euros that gives you unlimited travel throughout the city.  At least it seemed to work for both legs of the journey to the stadium.  I have kept hold it to see if it will work tomorrow.  The metro to the stadium was somewhat crowded but was OK as long as you were happy to co-ordinate breathing with your near neighbours and did not mind them knowing what religion you were.  

The Stade Du France has an excellent security system where you are given a pat down on the way in before the ticket barriers.  Because they are so concerned for the safety of their customers you are then given another check which is less through than the first one but does cause you to miss kick off despite arriving with plenty time to spare.

The gang outside the stadium

Stade du France (stadium of France)

As above I won't bore anyone with details of the match and would urge everyone to remember that it is not the winning that counts its the taking part.  I am not even sure what the final score was, possibly a draw.

To allow the trains to become less crowded the next step was to enjoy some post match drinks from the various street vendors that had set up around the stadium.  These enterprising ladies and gentlemen would sell you a plastic cup of 66% beer and 34% foam for only 8 Euros.  We also had some disgusting Leffe type beer from a Tabac. I was able to put my French language stills to the test by arguing with a rozzer about a road being closed for no reason.  He remains in the wrong but had a bigger gun than me so I chose to demure.

The plan to let the trains become less crowded did not really work, although more pleasant than the earlier journey it was still what one might describe as 'rammed.'  Group travel did not really work for us but we managed to regroup in an Italian restaurant close to the hotel.  Dinner was not bad but was let down by a lacklustre creme brulee.  

Menu - unsolvable

Cigars and cocktails rounded off an enjoyable day.  

As usual when travelling I managed to fit in some exercise, specifically a broken lift meant a six floor climb to my lodgings.

Tomorrow I travel home.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scotland Day Two - The Proclaimers

Days One and Two - There's No Limit

Day Six - Inspiral Carpets - Saturn V